Recently ran into this issue where I was trying to enable mod_rewrite thru the httpd.conf file. I went in to edit it and saved it. They I went to restart the apache service. And I would get this issue:
After some time searching and messing around I found the issue. It was because of permissions. My way of getting around this issue maybe a bit more complex then needed but it works.
1. Go download Notepad++ and install it.
2. Once installed go to the programs directory. Generally its “C:\Program Files (x86)\notepad++\” and find the application notepad++.exe.
3. Right click on said program and select “Properties.”
4. Hit the “Compatibility” tab, and check the box at the bottom – “Run this program as an administrator.”
5. Hit “Apply”
6. Now open Notepad++ and go to the location of your httpd.conf file location. Generally its “C:\apache\conf\.”
7. Once your done editing it save it as “httpd.conf.bak1”
8. Now go to your httpd.conf file location. Copy the current httpd.conf file and paste it in that directory as a backup.
9. Delete the current httpd.conf file. Rename the httpd.conf.bak1 file to httpd.conf
10. Restart Apache and see if it works.
I would be glad to help if it doesn’t work for you. This was a total pain for me, but hopefully I can help someone else that runs into this issue.