This is a quick and simple post. Figured it would be a good post for the cool stuff category. I got a Microsoft Surface Pro for really simple reasons (although mine is the Surface Pro 4, links in this post are for the lastest version).
- Because I was going to a lot of meetings and got sick of having 20 pages of notes that were not searchable
- See 1. Searching notes. Finding that one thing I wanted to remember
- I could sit there make notes, add stuff to my calendar, handle that email quick and get back to that text, all the while present in the meeting. Never pulling my phone out.
- Sync notes between my laptop and the Surface Pro. I can pull up those notes I wrote last week on my laptop, search for that one thing, add more notes. Then grab my surface and take my notes with me to the next meeting where I add more notes to that same set of notes.
- Transcription and hand writing to text – see Cons on this one.
- Record meetings and have them transcribed.
- Does everything I need it to do and does it well. Except 5. in my list above. See Cons on that one.
- It keeps up and isn’t slow. I got the i5 128GB version.
- Charging is quick
- Windows Hello is nice (might be a battery drain though)
- Made my life a 1000000x more organized
- Makes meetings so much better
- Way more on top of things
- Nice to grab and work while watching TV or going some where
- Easier to use on a plane or somewhere with little space
- Just start right off the bat, the hand writing recognition isn’t the best. Lately it stopped working for me. Haven’t really had time to dig into that problem yet.
- Battery life isn’t as great as I thought it would be but isn’t that the case with all tech these days?
- Windows Hello can be hit or miss sometimes
- The pen sometimes stops responding but that can be solved by just restarting so no big deal
- When I leave it in sleep mode it still draws a decent amount of power (I’ve read this is because of Windows Hello, so I might disable that)
Neither Pro or Con
- Need a Office 365 subscription to really benefit from it. You could go without but I wouldn’t recommend it.
Beyond all that I still love it and it still makes my life a breeze. I have become a lot better with notes and organization since I got it. I have less and less paper work in my life thanks to it. Even with the battery not lasting the longest it still makes it through all my meetings, I still have power left over. I can normally use it for an hour here and there through out the day and not have to charge it for a day or two. Honestly I wish I got one sooner.
*Full disclosure there is a affiliate links in this post.